Is there such a thing? Should there be? I don't enter many competitions as I don't have that much time and I don't tend to win them. Those two things make a winning combination of.. not winning anything. Also when I've entered a competition and seen the winner I'm like how!? It wasn't as good as mine. Come on bloggers you've all thought it. However, one competition did take my fancy, a weekend break in London with 2 adults and 2 children. Although I have 3 children and haven't quite worked out the logistics of sneaking in the back door or confronting this head on but still. I'm sure it'll all be academic as its unlikely I will be the chosen one - cue violins.
So, I was a bit miffed when my blog post which started with Dr Samuel Johnson's take on London had also featured in a post much further down the enter line i.e at a later date. When I entered the competition I was the second one to do so with about a week to go. Great, I thought, a 1 in 2 chance of winning. I have to be in with a shot right? Cue lots of late entries - my goodness they couldn't get them in quick enough with various degrees on one upmanship. I now get it - you wait until the last knockins' to enter a competition so you can have a gander and take bits and pieces from other posts. Honestly it was like an Ebay auction coming to an end. I'm fairly confident that most will have a look at what others have written. I did. Albeit there was only one other. I thought you cocksucker. You've nicked my train of thought and taken it down a different platform.
P.S If you are offended by this word then you really shouldn't. If you still are then read this previous post on my love for it.
Now I wasn't in full rant mode not even mild I just thought come on how about a bit of competition etiquette? As now I'm pretty sure we both won't be considered as we've both written about the same thing. Then I always think what I would do in this situation. I know if I'd seen someone else write about the same thing which was, lets face it, very specific I would have thought oh well I can't write that now. I'll have to conjure up something better. Now, the blogger may well argue they were always going to write this and I'm sure they were. They might say I never saw the post and I'd say that old chestnut. But really you should have changed tact. That was the decent thing to do. Of course, if they didn't see it then it is merely a coincidence and I'm sorry I've just called you a cocksucker.
Having said this and to prove I'm not a bitter old cow I did have a gander at her blog and her bio and thought actually she probably needs the break more than I do. So even though I felt I was right royally shafted (was that a word in 1775?) you can have my weekend break. There's plenty more competitions where they come from. Now that I know the etiquette and all which is:-
- Enter at the last knockins' so you can do better than the next one.
- Show no mercy if someone's written what you were going to - pled ignorance and write it anyway.
- If someone has come at it from a different angle steal that idea and write it better.
- Sacrifice any shred of dignity and family privacy by putting as many happy family pictures up as possible. Be a dancing bear.
- Think about whether or not the judges will take into account the type of blog you have and readership. Is there really any point entering? I don't plaster pictures of my children all over the place - so will I really win a family day out to Legoland with no pictures of the kids queuing for hours on end with a forced 'we're really pleased about this' smile for the blog? I think not.
- If all else fails put a minimal amount of effort in - that normally guarantees a win.
As you were.
This post was written under my Alter Ego 'The Bad Ass Blogger' or 'The Bitter Blogger' I can't decide which. If you'd liked to see more of the Bad Ass Blogger then let me know! I might just make it a regular feature!